1. Pound the bottoms of your feet with your fists for a couple of minutes. We have 14,000 nerve endings on the bottoms of our feet, and this will help activate them and redistribute our energy into the feet instead of having too much energy in the head.
2. Pat or tap the outside of the legs from the hips down to the feet with palms or fingertips (you can do this gently or more firmly). This will help energize and stimulate the Chinese meridians, or energy pathways located on the outside of the legs. Again, it helps move the energy into the feet.
3. Get a reflexology gadget. It’s probably one of the most grounding kinds of bodywork because it’s focused on the feet. Reflexology is based on the principle that a map of the body is represented on the feet. Applying pressure to specific points stimulates the nerve endings on the feet and balances the nervous system. (Anxiety is a sign that the nervous system is out of balance.)
Want DIY tips? Check out my Youtube channel with reflexology self help videos. Another option: get a wooden foot roller and use it for a minute or two each day.
4. Take a bath with sea salt or Epsom salts. This is one of the most popular spiritual (as well as physical and emotional) grounding techniques. While swimming in a lake or the ocean can powerfully connect us to the earth, a bath can be an easier option (or try a foot bath if you don’t have a bath tub or are short on time).
How can empaths protect themselves? I get asked this question often and this is an especially good tip if you have a tendency to take on other people’s energy and emotions.
5. Use essential oils that are grounding such as cedarwood, spruce, or pine (any essential oils from trees). I love Eden’s Garden.
6. Try Donna Eden’s Daily 5-Minute Energy Routine for a week and notice how your body feels. This routine is another helpful tip for empaths to protect themselves.
7. Work out: any form of exercise gets you into your body and out of your head: kick boxing, yoga, running, walking. Do the kind of exercise you enjoy and you’ll be more likely to do it regularly.
8. Experience sensory deprivation: sometimes referred to as an isolation or flotation tank, the tank is filled with 1,000 pounds of Epsom salts, with water at skin temperature, and devoid of sound and light. The mind is free from distraction and the body is free from gravity.
9. Try Frans Stiene’s grounding exercises. Known as the Reiki teacher’s teacher, and someone who flies around the world constantly to teach, Frans knows the importance of being grounded. Try both of his spiritually grounding techniques and compare.
10. Buy a weighted blanket. The heaviness is restorative and calming for the nervous system. I sleep more deeply and wake feeling refreshed. Talk about literally grounding you to the earth!